HCCI offers Initial Counseling Sessions in person, by phone, by mail or online appointments, or by Video Conference.
Click HERE to schedule the next available time with a counselor. Or click HERE to start online counseling process.
What is the initial counseling session?
This session is a comprehensive look at your current financial situation. It sets the foundation for identifying solutions to credit, personal budgeting and debt concerns.
What happens in this session?
You will meet with a Certified Housing & Credit Counselor in a confidential setting either in person, on the phone or by video conference for approximately 60 – 90 minutes. You and your counselor will discuss what steps you can take to resolve financial concerns. Based on your income, your total list of expenses and debts, these may include referrals to community resources, changes to your lifestyle, and ways to increase income or decrease expenses. During that time you and the counselor will:
- Review your current financial situation
- Discuss the reasons for your financial issue
- Develop a list of options available
- Create an action plan to get headed in the right direction
What do you need to bring with you?
There is a one-time $50 counseling fee payable at the first visit. Additional visits and phone calls available at no cost.
You can pay online for counseling fees here or you may pay at the time of your appointment. This fee may be waived for those who meet the criteria for severe financial distress. No one is turned away because of inability to pay. However, all fees collected are necessary to be able to provide this service.
- Proof of income (last 2 paycheck stubs)
- Most Current Creditor Statements (with account numbers)
- Photo ID
- Completed HCCI Counseling Packet (download here)
- Counseling Fee
- The form packet above is in Adobe Reader files. If you don’t have the software, download it free prior to attempting to access the files. Gather your monthly bills together to assist you in filling out the worksheet.
If you are attending your counseling session in person, bring the completed counseling worksheet with you to your appointment. If you are conducting your session by phone, please return it to our office in advance of your appointment and keep a copy for yourself to refer to during the session. Also make sure to have your two most recent pay stubs.
You tell us a little about your financial situation answering simple questions like how much you make each month, and the type of debt you have. We help you understand how your finances are doing, where you can improve, and what you can do in the future.